Our curriculum has been carefully designed & developed over the past 15 years
Developing English as a skill for life
The TLC curriculum has been specially designed in order to develop English as a skill for life and ensure that our students achieve proficiency levels (C2 of the CEFR) by the time they are 18.
With this in mind and the knowledge that it takes approximately 1200 hours of academic exposure to attain the C2 level of the CEFR we have developed schemes of work for each CEFR learning level divided in to the seven main aspects of language learning:
This allows for individual educational plans allowing for flexibility for each student regardless of the overall programme the student may be on.
TLC also offers at least three courses per CEFR level to allow for maximum differentiation in order for each student to be able to work at their closest academic level and therefore make learning challenging while enjoyable.
Deciding what and how students are going to learn is the complexity involved in designing any curriculum. At TLC we have ensured that our curriculum not only teaches our students to develop English as a skill for life but also empowers them for a future global career. For this reason TLC has intertwined the concept of high ethical values such as honesty – respect – responsibility – fairness and compassion as well as basic computer skills (touch typing – Skype communication – word – power point) needed to function in any demanding job today.
10 Steps taken to manage your child’s learning
1. BASELINE ASSESSMENT / LAST YEARS TEACHER REPORT AND/OR ESOL EXAM RESULTS
2. STUDENT QUALIFIED ON A COURSE BASED ON STEP 1
3. 4 WEEKS LATER TEACHER HAS MEETING TO DISCUSS COURSE APPROPRIACY.
4. PARENTS ARE INFORMED OF NEXT STEP
5. ANNUAL ASSESSMENTS TAKE PLACE
6. RESULTS OF ANNUAL ASSESSMENTS INFORM PARENTS OF RESULTS AND NEXT STEP
7. RECOMMENDATION OF NEXT STEP TAKEN
8. SOME STUDENTS TAKE MOCKS OTHERS CONTINUE PROGRAMME
9. OFFICIAL VALIDATING EXAMS ARE TAKEN.
10. END OF YEAR TEACHER REPORT AND EXAM RESULTS INFLUENCE NEXT YEARS QUALIFICATION
Our process has been proven over many years to be very successful.
Our baseline assessment is very accuarate and allows us to establish which CEFR level your student would be working towards in the short term as well as determine how this short term objective fits into the long term objective of developing their English as a skill for life by the time they leave high-school. For the students who stay until the end of their project we have a 100 % success rate.